Sunday, September 19, 2010

To The Beat Of A Different Drummer: Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko

To my great satisfaction, I was fortunate to witness Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko --Texas Branch provide the fantastic opening performance for Kaminari Taiko (at Miller Outdoor Theater).
I'm keen for Taiko... I've even written a story imagining my Arcanum character Cassie and her two best friends forming an all percussion band.
I am also mightily enamored by martial arts being mixed with, or performed as, dance... which is one of the reasons I loved M. Night’s The Last Airbender movie.
And RMD Texas does a splendid example of this.
To be fair, the Kaminari Taiko group presented an excellent concert, rife with intense, passionate energy and vibrant, well crafted choreography and musical skill. Plus, they featured the biggest drum in America.
But RMD really made an impression on me, because they incorporate more martial arts elements.
As well as included a certain stunning female performer whose beauty and grace—in both manner and appearance-- captivated me, and whose adeptness embodies the art at its pinacle (her name is Megan Clark; she can be seen at the far left of the following video sample).


More videos for “Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko Texas” and “kuminari taiko” are available by searching Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment